Herzog Geotechnical personnel have extensive experience in the Bay Area. Detailed resumes for our key members are presented below. The team has completed numerous large and complex projects, and has earned a reputation for quality work completed on time and on budget. Below is a brief description of key personnel.
Craig Herzog, Principal Engineer
Mr. Herzog, Registered Geotechnical Engineer, acts as Project Manager and is responsible for day to day coordination of projects, and the performance of engineering analyses. His experience includes landslide evaluation and repairs, seismic risk and site response analysis, liquefaction analysis, horizontal drilling and jacked pipe construction, lateral support systems, settlement analysis, deep foundations, and computer applications for geotechnical design. (more)
H. Donald Herzog, Senior Geotechnical Consultant
Mr. Herzog, a Registered Geotechnical Engineer with over 30 years experience, provides consultation, quality control, expert witness services and final review. He has managed, supervised and performed geotechnical services for a wide range of public and private projects in the western United States and the South Pacific. He has worked with construction companies on the BART Transbay Tube and the Embarcadero Center, and is experienced with construction feasibility requirements.(more)
Donn Ristau, PhD, Principal Geologist
Dr. Ristau, Certified Engineering Geologist, has over 18 years experience as an engineering geologist. His background includes slope stability analyses and geohazard studies for siting geothermal wells, power plants and road alignments as well as extensive experience in geologic hazard analysis for hillside, residential and commercial developments. In addition, Dr. Ristau is performing seismic risk evaluations for the California Division of Mines and Geology as part of their hospital and school site review program. (more)
- University of California, Berkeley; M.S. Geotechnical Engineering, 1990
- California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo; B.S. Civil Engineering, 1989
- California Registered Geotechnical Engineer
- California Registered Civil Engineer
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- U.C. Berkeley Geotechnical Society
- Consulting Engineers and Land Surveyors of California - Former State Former Director and Marin Chapter President
- 1994 - Present Principal Engineer - Herzog Geotechnical, Mill Valley, CA
- 1992 - 1994 Project Engineer - Huntingdon Engineering and Environmental, Petaluma, CA
- 1990 - 1992 Staff Engineer - Huntingdon Engineering and Environmental, Petaluma, CA
- 1985 - 1990 Field Technician - Donald Herzog & Associates, Santa Rosa, CA
- Responsible for performing geotechnical analysis, design and project management. Experience includes seismic site response, settlement and stability analyses of fill over soft soils, lateral support systems, deep foundations, rock slope stability, liquefaction evaluation, pavement design, landslide evaluation and repair, geologic hazard evaluation and computer applications for geotechnical design.
- BENMORE VALLEY DAM, Lake County, CA - Performed seismic stability evaluation of existing earth dam including rapid drawdown analyses and liquefaction analyses, and provided conclusions and recommendations concerning construction or a downstream filter system to prevent piping erosion through the dam. Project included detailed site response evaluation and post-liquefaction seismic deformation analyses.
- GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE - SOUTH TOWER, San Francisco, CA - Performed an evaluation of potential backfill materials suitable for placement between the existing bridge pier and surrounding fender to absorb the impact of large super tankers.
- SAN JOSE REGIONAL LANDSLIDE STUDY, San Jose, CA - Detailed evaluation of the stability of numerous potentially active, deep seated landslides in the San Jose East Foothills, including the over 300-foot-deep Penitencia Creek Water Treatment Plant Landslide. Study included reviewing hundreds of geotechnical and geologic reports prepared in the Special Geologic Hazard Moratorium Area, compiling and evaluating existing laboratory test data and analysis procedures, analyzing earthquake site response, slope stability and earthquake induced deformations of existing slopes, and developing recommended geotechnical guidelines and procedures for use by the City of San Jose for review of future investigation and analysis of deep seated landslides.
- WHITES HILL, Woodacre, CA - Performed stability analyses of four major landslides and provided design alternatives for protection of adjacent roadway. Among considered alternatives were tiedback lateral support systems, geogrid-reinforced buttress fills and soldier pile bridges.
- OLD REDWOOD HIGHWAY BRIDGE, Petaluma, CA - Performed a subsurface investigation of the project site using cone penetrometer and provided conclusions and recommendations regarding pile foundation design and liquefaction potential at the site.
- CENTRAL LANDFILL EXPANSION, Performed geotechnical, geologic and hydrogeologic investigation for planned expansions in two canyons adjacent to the existing landfill. Project included analyzing static and seismic stability of planned cutslopes and refuse slopes, performing geologic and hydrogeologic site characterization, evaluating potential liner materials and delineating potentially active faults extending through the site.
- GEORGE LUCAS PROPERTY, San Anselmo, CA - Geotechnical investigation for planned residential structure and tennis court on steep hillside. Project involved design of numerous tiered reinforced earth walls ranging to up to approximately 30 feet high, development of tiedback shoring recommendations for planned 40 foot cut in sheared and faulted Franciscan Melange, and providing geotechnical recommendations for roadway stabilization, extensive site grading, structural support of improvements and the construction of a bridge from the existing residence.
- MILL VALLEY COMMUNITY CENTER, Mill Valley, CA - Geotechnical investigation for proposed two-story, pile-supported community center building and out-of-ground swimming pool on closed landfill site. Project included settlement and stability analyses of proposed fills over soft Bay Mud deposits, development of site-specific earthquake response spectra and providing geotechnical design criteria for deep foundations.
- MARIN MUNICIPAL WATER DISTRICT WATER TANKS, Nicasio, Terra Linda, Sausalito, CA - Performed geotechnical investigations and provided services during construction of two large water tanks. Projects included seismic refraction surveys to evaluate bedrock rippability, kinematic and stability analyses of rock cutslopes, and design of design and load testing of a tieback/shotcrete wall.
- GOLDEN GATE BUSINESS PARK, Novato, CA - Provided static and seismic stability analyses of fill slopes, settlement evaluation and foundation design criteria for two large office buildings supported on pile and mat foundations over soft bay mud.
- SAUSALITO YACHT HARBOR BULKHEAD REPAIR, Sausalito, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation of failed waterfront bulkhead using the cone penetrometer, and provided geotechnical design criteria for a tiedback sheetpile bulkhead and associated driven pile deadman anchors.
- REDWOOD LANDFILL, Novato, CA - Provided technical review services in connection with the proposed vertical expansion of the existing landfill facility. Performed static and dynamic stability and deformation analyses to evaluate the sequenced staged loading of 165 foot high refuse slopes to be placed over soft bay mud foundation.
- SAN RAFAEL CANAL FORCE MAIN, San Rafael, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation for two large diameter pipelines installed beneath the canal utilizing directional tunneling and jacking techniques. Project included extensive coring for characterization of Franciscan bedrock along the alignment.
- MARIN COUNTY CORRECTIONAL FACILITY, San Rafael, CA - Provided geotechnical services during construction of new jail building adjacent to existing Frank Lloyd Wright Civic Center. Project included monitoring of blasting, performing kinematic and stability analyses for extensive rock cutslopes, and providing recommendations for permanent tieback anchors to shore 35-foot high slopes adjacent to the Civic Center.
- TIBURON FIRE DEPARTMENT, Tiburon, CA - Performed settlement analyses of conventional and lightweight fill over soft bay mud and provided design alternatives to mitigate settlement impact on adjacent structures.
- WILLOWBROOK CENTER -7, Petaluma, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation for 200,000 square foot industrial building on expansive adobe underlain by deep alluvial soils. Project included performing site response analyses for a detailed evaluation of potential liquefaction induced settlement, providing recommendations for the control of expansive surface soils, and managing observation and testing services during construction.
- SKYWALKER RANCH, Lucas Valley, CA - Geotechnical investigations for construction of technical building, day care center and guest apartments with underground parking at George Lucas' large film production complex. Projects included stability evaluations, providing design recommendations for tiedback shoring in weak colluvial soils, and developing design criteria for conventional spread footings, drilled piers and driven piles.
- 2150 REDWOOD HIGHWAY, Larkspur, CA - Geotechnical investigation for 8,500 square foot storage facility over deep bay mud. Project included performing deep rotary wash borings, developing site specific response spectra, evaluating anticipated settlement, and developing corresponding foundation design alternatives utilizing lightweight fill.
- UPPER RESERVOIR DAM REMOVAL, St. Helena, CA - Performed geotechnical and geophysical investigation and provided recommendations for the removal of an existing 100 year old dam, restoration of the upstream channel and stabilization of the adjacent roadway.
- RANCHO SOLANO SUBDIVISION, Fairfield, CA - Provided services in connection with the identification and evaluation of over 100 landslides at an existing 800 residential lot subdivision. Project included extensive subsurface and geophysical investigation, geologic characterization, stability analyses and recommendation of mitigation measures.
- PG&E PIPELINE, Pittsburg, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation and provided recommendations to mitigate ongoing settlement of large pipeline located on deep peat soils.
- MENDOCINO COAST DISTRICT HOSPITAL, Fort Bragg, CA - Performed liquefaction evaluation for emergency room addition, and provided recommendations for the installation of driven piles for foundation support.
- PENNGROVE FIRE STATION, Penngrove, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation for addition to existing fire station located on weak, compressible alluvial soils.
- THOMPSON FAULT EVALUATION, Ukiah, CA - Provided geotechnical input for preparation of detailed investigation along the active Maacama Fault in accordance with the Alquist-Priolo Act. Project included extensive field investigation, aerial photo interpretation, and developing seismic design criteria considering near-field effects and topographic amplification.
- SULFUR CREEK BANK STABILIZATION, Saint Helena, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation for stabilization of creek banks. Project included rip-rap buttress and gabion wall design to retain the existing banks and limit post-liquefaction slope deformations.
- CONCORD NAVAL WEAPONS FACILITY PIPELINE, Concord, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation along planned alignment of major pipeline.
- PETRIFIED FOREST ROAD TURN LANE, Calistoga, CA - Performed geotechnical investigation and provided observation and testing services during construction of approximately 500 foot truck turn lane off of existing highway to access Hans Fahden Vineyards. Project included treatment of highly expansive on-site soils.
- 1993-1994 LANDSLIDE REPAIRS, Mill Valley, CA - Performed geotechnical investigations for the City of Mill Valley for the evaluation of slope failures adjacent to City streets.
- NIELSON DAM, Santa Rosa, CA - Performed static and seismic stability evaluation of existing earth dam. Project included detailed site response analysis of anticipated ground motions from Healdsburg-Rodgers Creek fault located 200 feet away, and corresponding post-liquefaction seismic deformation analysis.
- University of San Francisco; M.B.A., 1972
- Georgia Institute of Technology; B.S. Civil Engineering, 1964
- California Geotechnical Engineer, GE 0395, 1987
- California Civil Engineer, CE 18093, 1968
- California Registered Environmental Assessor, REA 300, 1988
- Nevada Civil Engineer, CE 6867, 1984
- Hawaii Professional Engineer, PE 4446, 1977
- State of California Board of Registration Geotechnical
- Engineering TAC, 1988- 1992, (Chairman 1990- 1992)
- Director, Consulting Engineers and Land Surveyors of California, 1992-1993,
- (President of San Francisco/Marin Chapter 1991-1992)
- Chosen by the State of California "on the basis of eminence in the profession" to assist in the implementation of The Geotechnical Engineering Registration Act.
- 1989-Present Geotechnical Consultant
- 1973-1989 - Herzog Associates, Inc. Geotechnical and Environmental Consultants; President and Chairman
- 1970-1973 - Harding - Lawson Associates, Inc., Novato, CA and Agana, Guam; Project Manager
- 1968-1970 - Jones-Allen-Dillingham, Inc., San Francisco, CA; Chief Field Engineer for Embarcadero
- Center One Project
- 1966-1968 - Peter Kiewit Sons Company? San Francisco, CA; Area Engineer, BART Transbay Tube
- 1965-1966 - Harding - Lawson Associates, San Rafael, CA; Field Engineer
- 1964-1965 - Caltrans, District 4, San Francisco, CA; Jr. Civil Engineer
- GEORGE LUCAS' SKYWALKER RANCH, Lucas Valley, CA - Geotechnical investigations, consultations and construction observation services for numerous specialty buildings in large film production complex. Scope of work included land development, foundations, underground utilities, retaining walls, roads, and remedial stabilization of several large landslides.
- MARIN JEWISH COMMUNITY CENTER, San Rafael, CA - Geotechnical investigation and construction observation services for major community center project constructed on a difficult hillside site.
- NORTH LAKEPORT WATER SYSTEM, Lakeport, CA - Geotechnical investigation for 1500 feet of 16-inch diameter intake pipe from Clear Lake, a 30 foot deep pump station, a water treatment plant, a process sludge retaining lagoon, two storage tank sites, and 18 miles of distribution pipeline for the County of Lake Special District.
- SKAGGS ISLAND WATER PROJECT, Sonoma County, CA - Installation of a test well, developing a production well, and Geotechnical investigation for 6 1/2 miles of water transmission pipe at the Naval Security Facility at Skaggs Island.
- SALIDA WASTEWATER TREATMENT FACILITY, Geotechnical investigation for a major expansion of the Salida Sanitary District's Wastewater Treatment facilities including 30,000 linear feet of pipe as deep as 40 feet, and construction of a new 2.3 mad treatment plant.
- MARIN COUNTY JAIL, San Rafael, CA - Geotechnical consultation and investigation of sites for the new underground County jail, and Geotechnical observation services during construction.
- GOLDEN GATE BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, Mill Valley, CA - Geotechnical services for Master Plan and development of numerous buildings ranging from a major library to single family homes and condominiums, and for associated roads and utilities.
- MILL VALLEY STREETS, Mill Valley, CA - Geotechnical reconnaissance and consultation for entire 50 miles of Mill Valley's hillside streets. Geotechnical investigations for remediation of several roadway sites to correct landslide conditions.
- SAN RAFAEL GENERAL PLAN, San Rafael, CA - Geotechnical investigation and consultation for developing the geotechnical elements of the San Rafael General Plan.
- GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE, San Francisco, CA - Geotechnical analysis and consultation regarding mitigating potential ship impact damage to south tower.
- AIDLIN POWER PLANT, The Geysers, CA - Geotechnical investigation and construction observation services for a large geothermal power plant, utility lines, access roadways, and support facilities. Project included identifying and repairing major landslides.
- WHITES HILL ROADWAY LANDSLIDES, Marin County, CA - Geotechnical investigation and consultation for County of Marin for maintaining Sir Francis Drake Road across major landslides on Whites Hill, and for remediating a major uphill slide area.
- EMBASSY SUITES, San Rafael, CA - Geotechnical investigation and geotechnical construction observation services for a major hotel project on a filled marsh site near the Frank Lloyd Wright Civic Center in San Rafael, CA.
- DRAKES LANDING, Larkspur, CA - Geotechnical investigation and geotechnical construction observation services for large commercial and residential development and associated utilities and roadways on filled reclaimed marshlands. The project included pile foundations and settlement acceleration by means of wick drains.
- EBMUD HEADQUARTERS, Oakland CA - Geotechnical consultation and construction observation for excavation, shoring, and hydrocarbon cleanup.
- PUENTE HILLS LANDFILL, Los Angeles, CA - Geotechnical and environmental-mental studies for one of America's largest sanitary landfills. Work included developing a "state of the art" three dimensional slope stability program to evaluate stabilizing fabrics as a means of increasing allowable slopes and landfill capacity.
- CANYON LANDFILL SITE, Los Angeles, CA - Geotechnical and environmental investigation of a major canyon site to determine engineering feasibility for use as a large landfill site for L. A. County.
- SHARP PARK ROAD, Pacifica, CA - Geotechnical investigation and construction management services for the City of Pacifica for construction of a major connector road and associated utilities between Highway I and Skyline Blvd. The project included identifying and remediating several landslide areas.
- SMITH RANCH ROAD, San Rafael, CA - Geotechnical services for the City of San Rafael for construction of Smith Ranch Road between US Highway 101 and McInnis Park.
- KITE HILL WATER TANK, Mill Valley, CA - Geotechnical investigation and consultation for a major water storage tank for the Marin Municipal Water District.
- NAVY WESTDIV CONTRACT, Provided the geotechnical engineering
services for two consecutive years for the Naval and Air Force bases in California and Nevada. The projects included many large utility projects.
- TREASURE ISLAND NAVAL BASE, San Francisco, CA - Emergency 24 hour per day geotechnical investigation and consultation regarding saving the liquefied entry causeway and underlying major utility lines immediately after the Loma Prieta Earthquake.
University of California, Davis; Ph.D. Geology, 1977
University of California, Davis; M.S. Geology, 1973
California State University, Northridge; B.S. Geology, 1970
California Registered Geologist, 1981, RG 3634
Certified Engineering Geologist, 1983, CEG 1155
OSHA 40 Hour Hazardous Waste Activities Training
1991-Present Phoenix Geotechnical, Napa, CA; Principal Engineering Geologist/Owner
1982 - 1991 Herzog Associates, Napa, CA; Senior Engineering Geologist
1980 - 1982 Harding Lawson Associates, Inc., Novato, CA; Senior Geologist
1980 Independent Consultant - US Forest Service
1978 - 1980 California Department of Forestry, Santa Rosa, CA; Assistant Geologist
Dr. Ristau has 18 years experience in project management for environmental geology and engineering geology studies directly related to the scope of work outlined in the RFP. He has been involved as the lead geologist for geologic, landslide mapping and fault identification studies for engineering geology/geohazard investigations for large subdivisions, commercial properties, major roadway improvements and landfills. In the past 16 years as a geotechnical consultant, he has conducted or participated in numerous EIR and geotechnical investigations for public, commercial and industrial developments which have included slope stability and liquefaction analysis, fault location studies/seismic risk analysis, and geotechnical hazard evaluations. He has developed both deterministic and probabilistic seismic risk assessments for EIR's for roadway development projects in areas of unstable fill and bay mud deposits and for large subdivisions in the San Francisco Bay area. His background includes slope stability analyses and geohazard studies for siting geothermal wells, power plants, and road alignments, as well as extensive experience in geologic hazard analysis for hillside, residential and commercial developments. He has provided hydrogeologic analysis related to the potential for groundwater production and development for private residential developments, as well as serving as a review consultant for City/County agencies. He has been involved as the primary geologic consultant for investigations of confirmed fuel release sites in the Santa Clara Valley, as well as being lead geologist for a major landfill siting study and a major hydrogeologic study of an existing landfill site.
UNION PACIFIC EXPERT WITNESS, Oroville, CA - Evaluation of causation of landslide risk assessment related to slope stability along railroad alignment.
GEOLOGIC AND LANDSLIDE DATA BASE COMPILATION, California Department of Forestry Region 1 and U.S. Forest Service, Northern California - Landslide inventory and geologic mapping/air photo interpretation. Mapping used to delineate geologic hazards related to logging activities and development of mitigation for control of sediment point sources.
GEOTHERMAL POWER PLANT AND WELL PAD INVESTIGATION, The Geysers, Sonoma County, CA - Geotechnical and geohazards investigation to facilitate design and construction of 5 well pads, 2 power plants and access roads. Special emphasis was placed on road construction, stabilization of slides and providing erosion control measures for graded areas.
SERPAS RANCH, Fairfield, CA - Geologic investigation for a proposed 400 unit subdivision. The main geotechnical concern evaluated involved the presence of landslides within and adjacent to areas of proposed construction.
SHARP PARK ROAD, Pacifica, CA - Design recommendations for construction of a major roadway improvement involving cut and fill grading and retaining wall construction.
DEL MADERA SUBDIVISION, Tiburon, CA - Landslide hazard mitigation and geologic engineering for major subdivision on unstable hillside.
STRAWBERRY VISTA, Marin County, CA - Geotechnical investigation for 75 unit subdivision with emphasis on landslide hazard mitigation and site development.
SKYWALKER RANCH GEOHAZARDS INVESTIGATION, Marin County, CA - Geologic landslide mapping and mitigation of geologic hazards.
EDUCATIONAL FACILITIES, Alameda/Contra Costa/Napa/Lake County, CA - Provided geohazards evaluation in compliance with Title 22 requirements for proposed school and critical facilities additions. Analyses included probabilistic seismic risk assessment and liquefaction analyses, as well as fault location trenching studies.
EXPERT WITNESS, Marin, Solano and San Francisco Counties, CA - Performed geotechnical investigations and developed expert opinions for causation, risk assessment and mitigation of landslide related litigation.
GEOTECHNICAL REVIEW CONSULTANT, City of San Rafael, Town of Tiburon, Napa County, Marin County and Sonoma County.
ALASKAN PIPELINE TERMINAL FACILITY, Valdez, AK - Offshore geologic hazards assessment and geophysical study for proposed terminal complex.
PRUDHOE BAY DEVELOPMENT, Deadhorse, AK - Geotechnical engineering for construction of an offshore oil drilling islands.
CITY OF VALLEJO ROADWAY EIR, Vallejo, CA - Preparation of geotechnical element of the EIR for construction of roadway near Mare Island, in area of unstable fill/bay mud deposits.
NAPA OAKS EIR, Napa, CA - Preparation of geohazards analysis for large (99 lot) subdivision for use in EIR review. Primary emphasis on fault identification and evaluation of existing fill deposits.
LARKSPUR QUARRY EIR, Larkspur, CA - Preparation of EIR geotechnical element and geohazards evaluation for large condominium development in old quarry. Primary emphasis on slope stability and site grading.
IBM, San Jose, CA - Soil contamination and groundwater monitoring survey.
PALOS VERDES LANDFILL, Palos Verdes, CA - Lead geologist for a hydrogeologic investigation of an existing landfill with respect to evaluating the potential for off-site migration of landfill leachate.TOWSLEY CANYON LANDFILL, Los Angeles, CA - Lead geologist for geologic and landslide mapping, borrow investigation, access road evaluation, and seismicity evaluation at a major southern California proposed landfill site. Emphasis placed on air photo mapping of lithology, structure and slope stability conditions in inaccessible terrai